Gross Motor Ability Estimator (GMAE-2) Scoring Software for the GMFM
The GMAE-2 is now openly available for download.
We strongly encourage you to purchase the User's Manual before downloading the GMAE-2 program. This manual contains important information on administering, scoring and interpreting the results of the GMFM. In addition, the manual provides information on the development and testing of the GMFM.
Updated to GMAE August 2013:
- The ability to import data from the original GMAE program & export data into CSV files.
- Updated user tutorial.
New in the GMAE-2:
- The ability to plot a child's GMFM-66 assessment on the Centile Curves for the child's level.
- Score sheets are available to download.
- Ability to enter and calculate scores for the GMFM-88, GMFM-66, GMFM-66-IS and GMFM-66-B&C
- A user friendly tutorial to walk you through the program and steps to set up therapist and client information. We recommend you print this to help guide you through.
- Java version 7. Not sure if you have the required Java version installed? Click here to find out and, update if required
- 1GB RAM
- 30 MB Free Hard Disk Space + Additional space for data storage (recommended 100MB Free Hard Disk Space)
- Windows XP and above, if Windows system
- Mac OSX 10.7 and above, Intel-based Mac, if using Mac OSX
- Unzip File utility, i.e. WinZip, to extract the files upon downloading
- Input Device (i.e. keyboard, mouse)
- PDF Reader, i.e. Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Screen Display, min. screen resolution 1024x768
- Printer, if you will be printing results
Please note: Older systems may also be compatible, however they have not been tested.
To download & run the GMAE-2 Program:
- Fill in the GMAE-2 User Registration form below.
- Read the GMAE-2 Software Licence below.
- Underneath the GMAE-2 Software Licence check the box indicating that you have read and understood the Licence agreement.
- Once step 3 is complete a Download GMAE-2 button will appear. Click this.
- Once the GMAE.zip file has been downloaded to your computer you need to extract the files. You can do this by right-clicking on the GMAE.zip file and selecting Extract All.
- To run the GMAE-2 program double-click on the GMAE-2 Program.jar file.
GMAE-2 Software Licence:
Frequently Asked Questions
- What do I do if I have an earlier version of the GMAE-2 on my computer?
Once the new version is downloaded, you must select the previous database by going to file- open database in order to continue using your previous database.
- Who do we contact for support if it's needed?
If you have followed the steps outlined in the tutorial and are still experiencing difficulties, please fill out this form. Currently, there is no guaranteed support available for the GMAE-2 but we will try and respond or post responses on our FAQ page.
- Are there normally upgrades for the application? If yes, how will upgrades be communicated to the users?
There are no regular updates planned at this time. GMAE-2 is provided as is. We do suggest you register when you download the software so we may send you an email in the event there is an update.
- Will the GMAE-2 run on a Mac? On a network?
Yes! The GMAE-2 is compatible on both a MAC and a PC but you must have the recent version of JAVA downloaded. The program can also be downloaded and used on a network.
- Is it possible to store data on a network server?
Yes, it is possible to store the data file on a network server, if it is connected as a drive to your computer however only one person can access the database at a time.
- How do we order the GMFM manual?
It is important to purchase the Gross Motor Function Measure (GMFM-66 and GMFM-88) User's Manual before downloading the GMAE-2 program. This manual contains important information on administering, scoring and interpreting the results of the GMFM. In addition, the manual provides information on the development and testing of the GMFM. The Users' Manual can be ordered through Wiley Blackwell Publishing and will be available in October 2013. Cost information is available from the publisher.
- Is an app available for the GMAE so it can run on a tablet?
Currently, we do not have an 'app' available for the GMAE.
- Are there any license or use restrictions?
Yes, you cannot sell this software, or make it available for distribution. For more information, please read the license before downloading the GMAE-2.
- Is there a function to audit (who inputs data, accesses data, etc.)?
No, there is no function available to audit the use of the GMAE-2 software.
- Is the data encrypted?
No, the data is not encrypted. It is strongly recommended that the end-user take all precautions possible to ensure confidentiality of data, i.e. use encrypted USB flash drives, secure access to computer on which GMAE-2 is installed
- Can I load data from the original GMAE into the GMAE-2?
Yes, the GMAE-2 has the ability to upload data from the original GMAE program. For more information on how to transfer data, please visit the tutorial.
- Avery, L. M., Russell, D. J. and Rosenbaum, P. L. (2013), Criterion validity of the GMFM-66 item set and the GMFM-66 basal and ceiling approaches for estimating GMFM-66 scores. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, 55: 534–538.
- Brunton, L. K., Bartlett, D. J. (2011). Validity and Reliability of Two Abbreviated Versions of the Gross Motor Function Measure. Physical Therapy 91: 577-588
- Russell DJ, Avery LM, Walter SD, Hanna SE, Bartlett DJ, Rosenbaum PL, Palisano RJ, Gorter JW. (2010). Development and validation of item sets to improve efficiency of administration of the 66-item Gross Motor Function Measure in children with cerebral palsy. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology; 52: (2): e48-e54.
- Improved scaling of the Gross Motor Function Measure for children with cerebral palsy: evidence of reliability and validity
- Rasch analysis of the Gross Motor Function Measure: Validating the assumptions of the Rasch model to create an interval-level measure
The GMAE-2 is a software package for scoring the Gross Motor Function Measure (GMFM). Like the original, it provides an interval-level measure of gross motor function based on a child's score on the items of the GMFM. Because the GMAE was calibrated on a sample of children with Cerebral Palsy, it is valid only for this population and should not be used with other populations of children (Down Syndrome, acquired brain injury, etc.).
The GMAE is made available for downloading on this page. If you appreciate these and other CanChild resources please consider donating to CanChild: